shown here are pictures of New Jerusalem dating: 1800, 1900 & the current Sanctuary (2012)
THE HISTORY OF NEW JERUSALEM
Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; raise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals!...
Psalm 150:1-6 (ESV)
For more than 100 years New Jerusalem has sat on a true, solid foundation, which is Jesus Christ. Our first worship service under the name of Jerusalem Church was held as a prayer meeting at founding father Oliver Lewis’ home. This service led us to the current site; once known as Bush Harbor.
Growth and grace increased; as we completed the first worship building which was a log cabin. Afterwards a more modern structure was developed under the leadership of Rev. Staggers. This shepherd led us for over 38 years before going to his heavenly home.
Reverend Lott was called to lead us, followed by Reverend Burney who led us to the church currently known as New Jerusalem. Following Reverend Burney was Reverend Wilson and as God would have it, Reverend J. C Bell lead the church into the form of an organized worship center. Upon Revernd Bell’s demise came Reverend Masters Ford who served for 8 years until the dynamic man of God; Reverend Herman Boone led the church into soaring heights of becoming one of the best known places in the County of Marion. Reverend Boone was followed by the great grandson of one of our past leaders (Rev. Staggers); who was Reverend Freddie Lofton. Upon, Reverend Lofton’s call to lead an inner city church came the master teacher, Reverend Stanley Jacobs, Sr; who not only taught the word of God but developed the church Administration. Reverend Stanley Jacobs left a legacy of undaunting leadership, serving and gift giving traditions that filled th churdch with formality. Under his wing came our “Joshua” in the form of current shepherd and divine biblical scholar Pastor Keith E. Blunt who took own the leadership responsibility based on God’s word; at the same time conquering goals of becoming the Young Pastor’s Vice President of Florida General Baptist Convention and ushering the church to our current position in final mortgage liquidation within a span of only 6 YEARS!
And so now; we look forward to reaching new heights as the Holy Spirit leads New Jerusalem on a quest truly favored by God himself.